The Houston First Corporation recently announced its appointment of Christine West to develop an arts and heritage program for the organization. Her position will include the curating and execution of exhibitions and special events at Houston First’s many properties, including the George R. Brown Convention Center. (Hopefully the Houston City Council won’t threaten to shut down West’s exhibitions).
West is a longtime staple of the Texas art scene. She has worked at the Galveston Arts Center, the Orange Show, and, most recently, had an eight-year tenure as the director of Lawndale Art Center. Houston First president and CEO Dawn Ullrich hopes that West’s knowledge of regional artists will “help [the organization] engage the community to tell Houston’s story in a unique and authentic manner.”
also by Glasstire
- Project Your Work Outdoors at 'Bring Your Own Beamer' in Dallas - September 23rd, 2017
- Rice University's Fondren Library Acquires Contemporary Arts Museum Houston Archive - September 22nd, 2017
- Free Workshop This Saturday To Help Save Water-Damaged Art Objects - September 21st, 2017
- Salvador Dalí is NOT the Father! - September 21st, 2017
- Top Five: September 21, 2017 with Lucia Simek - September 21st, 2017