The Houston First Corporation recently announced its appointment of Christine West to develop an arts and heritage program for the organization. Her position will include the curating and execution of exhibitions and special events at Houston First’s many properties, including the George R. Brown Convention Center. (Hopefully the Houston City Council won’t threaten to shut down West’s exhibitions).
West is a longtime staple of the Texas art scene. She has worked at the Galveston Arts Center, the Orange Show, and, most recently, had an eight-year tenure as the director of Lawndale Art Center. Houston First president and CEO Dawn Ullrich hopes that West’s knowledge of regional artists will “help [the organization] engage the community to tell Houston’s story in a unique and authentic manner.”
also by Glasstire
- Art League Houston Extends Open Call Deadline - November 20th, 2017
- Marfa Myths Festival Returns in 2018 - November 19th, 2017
- DMA Curator Gavin Delahunty Resigns Over Allegations of "inappropriate behavior" - November 18th, 2017
- Pump Project: The Latest Casualty of Austin's East Side Boom - November 18th, 2017
- DiverseWorks' Rachel Cook Leaving Houston for Seattle's On the Boards - November 17th, 2017