The Art League Houston and Fresh Arts will host an “Artist Town Hall Meeting” to discuss the needs of artists living and working in the Houston area. The meeting will be on Tuesday, February 18 (6:30-8:30 pm) and will be facilitated by artists Ayanna Jolivet Mccloud, Carrie Schneider and Patrick Renner. It is scheduled to take place at the Art League but it could possibly change to a larger venue, so check back for updates.
Topics of discussion are open, but the press release for the event suggests they could include issues such as “artist stipends, public art and exhibition opportunities, affordable housing, studios and health insurance”—in other words, anything that could make Houston artists better, richer, safer, more interactive and more productive. Start making those lists!
Although there are a huge number of “partnering organizations” for the event, the press release also includes this warning: “If an artist works for a visual arts organization they are welcome to come as their artist self, but NOT as a representative of their organization.”
also by Paula Newton
- Two Texans Make ArtPrize Shortlist! - September 27th, 2016
- Idea Fund Round 9: Deadline, Info, and Jurors - September 26th, 2016
- Artists and Collectors to Show off their Weird Houston Homes - September 23rd, 2016
- It May Be Too Late, but this Group is Set to Save East Austin Art - September 22nd, 2016
- Check out Islamic Art in Houston! - September 20th, 2016