Houston artist Emily Sloan is inviting the public to start the new year right, with a Funeral Party on January 1! Although no actual deaths are involved, Sloan has included almost everything else in her participatory performance: an interactive funeral service (write a eulogy!), funeral pyre (bring your symbolic memorobilia!) improvised funeral music parade (bring an instrument!), and of course, eating (potluck!) and drinking. Those who feel awkward writing their own eulogies can come early for Sloan’s eulogy writing assistance at 6 p.m. The party begins at 7 p.m. at 14 Pews. Admission is $5-$10 to help defray funeral expenses.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015