Devon Britt Darby, neé Douglas Britt, former Houston Chronicle arts writer, and Reese Darby, his former wife are celebrating their divorce at Leon’s Lounge on Monday May 7 5:30-7:30 pm. The divorce and ensuing celebration are a wrap party for Darby’s long-running art in real life piece “Art Gay Marries a Woman,” in which the critic turned provocateur in protest of the Menil Collection’s acquisition of the Art Guys controversial “Art Guys Marry a Plant” in 20011. The happy soon-to-be ex-couple will feed each other the first slice of divorce cake at 6:30 p.m., then share the rest while supplies last. Darby has an articulate, rational explication of the piece on his blog, but leaves out the manic drama that surrounded the events as they occurred.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015