In the slack summer news season, sometimes nothing’s more exciting than moving a big, weird object from one place to another. Local news outlets report the airlift of Buck Winn’s Morning Glories from Texas State University’s Aquarena Center to his family’s ranch in Wimberly. The 50-year old fiberglass sculpture was once a canopy shading tourists at the now-defunct Aquarena Springs Resort. Likewise, the Luis Jimenez’s beloved Los Lagartos, sited in San Jacinto Plaza in El Paso since a memorable mariachi-filled day in 1993, is being restored and relocated slightly to a shadier spot to slow its deterioration as part of a proposed park makeover.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015