Lawrence Argent, who was a Core Fellow at the MFAH’s Glassell School of Art from 1986–1987, died unexpectedly last week at age 60, reports the University of Houston News. The Denver Post writes that the cause of death will not be available for a few weeks, pending further investigation.
Argent, Professor Emeritus at the University of Denver, had another connection to Houston. In 2011, he installed Your Move in the courtyard of UH’s University Lofts. Mike Guidry, curator of Public Art at the University of Houston System, said of Argent, “He brought something to the art collection we didn’t have before like a level of humor and fantastical beauty.”
also by Paula Newton
- Trump Tax Laws Not Good for Museums - October 16th, 2017
- Amid Immigration Debates, Borderland Art Reigns - October 12th, 2017
- Houston Quilts Have Enemies! - October 11th, 2017
- Holograms: Museum Creates a Place for Conversation with the Past and Future - October 10th, 2017
- Another New Art Walk. This Time in Keller, TX - October 9th, 2017