Austin’s Farewell Books, the progressive bookshop and art gallery founded in February 2013, will shut its doors at 913 East Cesar Chavez Street at the end of this month. Founders Mikaylah Bowman and Travis Kent posted on Farewell’s Facebook page: “With the Austin landscape changing rapidly it has become that much more challenging.” They go on to clarify:
Farewell Books is not going away, only underground, briefly. We will continue to update the website with new books, we will keep you posted on events & openings that we will be tabling and we will keep you updated on potential new spaces for Farewell.
There don’t seem to be signs that the Austin real estate market will make it easy to find a new space, but we wish Mikaylah and Travis the best of luck. Meanwhile, Las Cruxes, the store/gallery at the same address, will be maintaining the 913 collective.
also by Paula Newton
- Texas Medal of Arts Announces 2017 Honorees - January 17th, 2017
- Dessert Before Dinner: Houston Couple Pledges Entire Show to MFAH - January 16th, 2017
- Mixed Responses to Call for Artist Trump Protests - January 13th, 2017
- Party! Come Congratulate the Idea Fund Grantees - January 12th, 2017
- Phillip Johnson and "Kitty Porn" - January 10th, 2017