The Menil Drawing Institute will open on October 7, 2017. This comes two months after a minor hiccup where the Drawing Institute’s chief curator, David Breslin, left for the Whitney Museum of American Art. The building, which is currently under construction, was designed by the Los Angeles-based architecture firm Johnston Marklee in collaboration with landscape architects Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates.
In anticipation of the opening, the Menil is organizing two exhibitions of drawings gifted to the collection: The Beginning of Everything: Drawings from the Janie C. Lee, Louisa Stude Sarofim, and David Whitney Collections will be on view starting next February, and will feature nearly one hundred works. The second show, The Condition of Being Here: Drawings by Jasper Johns, will inaugurate the Menil Drawing Institute’s building.
For more information on the opening of the Menil Drawing Institute, along with information about the institution’s 30th anniversary happening in 2017, please go here.
also by Glasstire
- City of Austin Announces First Artist-in-Residence - April 23rd, 2017
- Celebrate Earth Day with an Environmentally Conscious Film Festival - April 22nd, 2017
- West Austin Studio Tour Artists Announced - April 21st, 2017
- DMA Announces 2017 Artist Award Winners - April 20th, 2017
- Sixto Wagan Performs Again! - April 20th, 2017