Christina Rees and Rainey Knudson on a painter at the top of his game, a very weird Youtube phenomenon, and the muddiness of consulting versus curating.
1. Charles Ray: Thoughts on Sculpture
Menil Collection (Houston)
January 22, 7PM
Charles Ray gives a talk, titled “Matisse & Super Clay: Thoughts on Bronze in Rodin, Degas, and Matisse.”
Lora Reynolds Gallery (Austin)
January 23 – March 26
Opens January 23, 6-8PM with artist talk at 7PM
An exhibition featuring work by nine Brazilian artists, including Alexandre da Cunha, Marcius Galan, Fernanda Gomes, Jac Leirner, Rodrigo Matheus, Ana Mazzei, Maria Nepomuceno, Lucas Simões, and Erika Verzutti. The show is curated by Lea Weingarten.
3. Turn Your Face Toward The Sun
Blue Star Contemporary Art Museum (San Antonio)
December 3 – February 7, 2016
An exhibition of works by Charlie Morris and Liz Rodda. The pieces in the show incorporate found elements and “explore contemporary assemblage, subculture iconographies and vernaculars, and themes of control, desire, anxiety, power, surveillance, and subversion.”
4. Matthew Craven: Monuments
David Shelton Gallery (Houston)
January 8 – February 6
An exhibition of works by New York-based artist Mathew Craven. The artist uses historical imagery and geometric textile patterning to “create a surreal vernacular built on transformation, precision and vibrancy.”
5. David Aylsworth: Sweet sweet sweet sweet sweet tea.
Inman Gallery (Houston)
January 8 – February 20
January 23, 2PM: David Aylsworth and Gael Stack in conversation
A solo exhibition by David Aylsworth.
also by Glasstire
- Naked Donald Trump Statue for Sale - September 24th, 2016
- Rienzi Gets a New Director - September 24th, 2016
- Rice Engineer and MFAH Artist Are 2016 MacArthur Geniuses - September 24th, 2016
- City of Georgetown Calls For Public Art Proposals - September 23rd, 2016
- Project Row Houses Announces Next Artist Round - September 23rd, 2016