California-based sculptor Robert Irwin has spent 14 years planning an installation for the Chinati Foundation in Marfa, and construction for the project is set to begin this summer. This follows a grant for $750,000 from the Lannan Foundation to pair with Chinati’s campaign which raised $3.7 million last year. The budget for the Robert Irwin Project currently sits at $5 million.
The installation will continue Irwin’s exploration of light and shadow and will be housed within an old army hospital and its courtyard. Read more about it here.
also by Christina Rees
- Buster Graybill at the Southwest School of Art - October 17th, 2017
- Misty Keasler's 'Haunt' at the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth - September 26th, 2017
- Tom Sachs at the Nasher Sculpture Center - September 19th, 2017
- Ray Harryhausen's Singular Movie Magic - September 3rd, 2017
- Artists, Self-Sabotage, Integrity, and Selling Out - August 20th, 2017