In conjunction with its current exhibition Texas Tough, Blue Start Contemporary Art Museum will present a “Women’s Artist Panel.” The panel will include San Antonio artists Missi Smith, Katie Pell, Leigh Anne Lester and Ana Fernandez, and will be moderated by Ellen Riojas Clark, Ph. D.
Although Blue Star does not promote Texas Tough (which features Jill Bedgood, Amita Bhatt, Sharon Kopriva, and Sherry Owens) as specifically dealing with gender issues, its exhibition description states that it is Blue Star’s first all-women exhibition since 2008. The four local artists will discuss what it means to be a female artist in San Antonio. Those who think there is nothing left to say about gender issues in the arts might want to read the readers’ comment section at the end of the recent Glasstire article “Texas Women in the Arts: When it Does and Doesn’t Matter.”
The panel discussion will take place at Blue Star on Wednesday, August 7th at 5:30 pm. Tickets are free, but RSVP to email@example.com or 210-227-6960.
also by Paula Newton
- Dallas Artist is Now a TV Star - May 26th, 2017
- N.O.’s Prospect 4 Announces Artists, Including Texans - May 25th, 2017
- Trump’s Proposed Budget to Kill National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities - May 24th, 2017
- Austin Art: People Have the Power - May 23rd, 2017
- Performance Artist Solange Does the Guggenheim - May 22nd, 2017