The National Endowment for the Arts has awarded the Waco Cultural Arts Fest (aka Cultural Arts of Waco) $15,000 for a statue honoring Waco resident and World War II serviceman Doris Miller (1919-43), the first African American to be awarded the Navy Cross for his heroism during the 1941 Pearl Harbor attack. The figurative bronze sculpture and historical reliefs will be created by Lubbock sculptor Eddie Dixon and will be sited in Bledsoe-Miller Park.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015