The National Endowment for the Arts has awarded the Waco Cultural Arts Fest (aka Cultural Arts of Waco) $15,000 for a statue honoring Waco resident and World War II serviceman Doris Miller (1919-43), the first African American to be awarded the Navy Cross for his heroism during the 1941 Pearl Harbor attack. The figurative bronze sculpture and historical reliefs will be created by Lubbock sculptor Eddie Dixon and will be sited in Bledsoe-Miller Park.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015