Ai WeiWei was detained as he attempted to board a plane for Hong Kong at Beijing Airport yesterday. Ai, who designed the Olympic bird’s nest stadium and the recent porcelain sunflower seeds at the Tate Modern is one of China’s best known export artists, and has used his international prominence to criticize the Chinese government from time to time. The detention seems to be part of a crackdown on dissidents related to the uprisings in the Middle East.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015