Houston’s Project Row Houses (PRH) recently announced the recipients of its 2017 Summer Studios residency. The program, which is structured around a six-week-long residency, brings in college and university students and teaches them about the concepts and experiences of PRH. (While this is a great program unto itself, it is also a way to skirt using PRH’s unairconditioned houses as public exhibition spaces during the hot summer months). In this spirit, many of the projects that come out of the Summer Studios program have a community-centered focus. Artists selected for this year’s Summer Studios include:
Colby Deal, University of Houston
Barbara Gamiz, University of St. Thomas
Maureen Lax, University of Houston
LeAirre Morris, Texas Southern University
Luis Parra, Houston Community College
Faith Schwartz, Texas Southern University
Heather Wright, Rice University
This year’s selected artists will be mentored by CotA-PRH Fellows Carrie Schneider and Carol Zou. Past summer studio mentors have included william cordova and Kaneem Smith. In addition to having the opportunity to transform a row house for their exhibition, which opens August 12, the students will participate in studio visits, critiques, and visits to organizations across Houston.
For more info on the Summer Studios program, please go here.
also by Glasstire
- Free Workshop This Saturday To Help Save Water-Damaged Art Objects - September 21st, 2017
- Salvador Dalí is NOT the Father! - September 21st, 2017
- Top Five: September 21, 2017 with Lucia Simek - September 21st, 2017
- Houston Arts Alliance Names New CEO - September 20th, 2017
- Theaster Gates Named 2018 Nasher Prize Winner - September 19th, 2017