Glasstire took a trip into the Panhandle recently and was pleasantly surprised to find the excellent Impressionist and Post-Impressionist collection of gentleman-rancher Montgomery Ritchie on view at the Amarillo Museum of Art (through March 26). When we returned home, DFW artist Thor Johnson had a surprising and very personal tale to share with us about a brazen attempted art theft of the Ritchie collection, circa 1980s, involving Belgian criminals, a helicopter, Uzis, and (VERY) armed ranch hands. We don’t know how much of this is true, but we love it. Listen to Johnson recount the tale here.
also by Christina Rees
- Tom Sachs at the Nasher Sculpture Center - September 19th, 2017
- Ray Harryhausen's Singular Movie Magic - September 3rd, 2017
- Artists, Self-Sabotage, Integrity, and Selling Out - August 20th, 2017
- Juan Mora: Culture Clash - August 1st, 2017
- Bruno's Steel House - July 18th, 2017