Glasstire took a trip into the Panhandle recently and was pleasantly surprised to find the excellent Impressionist and Post-Impressionist collection of gentleman-rancher Montgomery Ritchie on view at the Amarillo Museum of Art (through March 26). When we returned home, DFW artist Thor Johnson had a surprising and very personal tale to share with us about a brazen attempted art theft of the Ritchie collection, circa 1980s, involving Belgian criminals, a helicopter, Uzis, and (VERY) armed ranch hands. We don’t know how much of this is true, but we love it. Listen to Johnson recount the tale here.
also by Christina Rees
- Bruno's Steel House - July 18th, 2017
- The Polaroid Project at the Amon Carter - July 11th, 2017
- Epilogue - June 27th, 2017
- Christina and Angela's Epic Road Trip: Some Highlights - June 20th, 2017
- Doug Aitken at the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth - June 13th, 2017