Glasstire took a trip into the Panhandle recently and was pleasantly surprised to find the excellent Impressionist and Post-Impressionist collection of gentleman-rancher Montgomery Ritchie on view at the Amarillo Museum of Art (through March 26). When we returned home, DFW artist Thor Johnson had a surprising and very personal tale to share with us about a brazen attempted art theft of the Ritchie collection, circa 1980s, involving Belgian criminals, a helicopter, Uzis, and (VERY) armed ranch hands. We don’t know how much of this is true, but we love it. Listen to Johnson recount the tale here.
also by Christina Rees
- Richard Serra Prints at the Nasher Sculpture Center - March 22nd, 2017
- Ross Bleckner at the Dallas Contemporary - February 19th, 2017
- Bruce Conner’s 'CROSSROADS' in 2017 - January 29th, 2017
- Goodbye to 2016, or, Tripping Over Nostalgia - December 18th, 2016
- Last Week: Los Angeles vs. New York - December 4th, 2016