The Houston chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) has named sculptor Patrick Renner as its artist of the year. Renner, best known for his Funnel Tunnel sculpture on Montrose Blvd and, more recently, the Trumpet Flower in downtown Houston (both with public sculpture company Flying Carpet), has been getting much attention and awards from arts organizations.
Of the AIA award, though, Renner states, “This is an unexpected and real honor for me, since I gave some serious thought in high school to perusing architecture as a creative outlet,” adding, “Seems like art has proven to be a good path though.”
also by Paula Newton
- John Glenn (1921-2016) - December 9th, 2016
- Architects’ Pigs Could Fly in Just in Time for Trump Proposals - December 8th, 2016
- ALH Artists Inspire Latest Version of Debtfair at Whitney Biennial - December 7th, 2016
- Judd Foundation Releases More Judd Writings - December 2nd, 2016
- And Speaking of Space - December 1st, 2016