The Houston chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) has named sculptor Patrick Renner as its artist of the year. Renner, best known for his Funnel Tunnel sculpture on Montrose Blvd and, more recently, the Trumpet Flower in downtown Houston (both with public sculpture company Flying Carpet), has been getting much attention and awards from arts organizations.
Of the AIA award, though, Renner states, “This is an unexpected and real honor for me, since I gave some serious thought in high school to perusing architecture as a creative outlet,” adding, “Seems like art has proven to be a good path though.”
also by Paula Newton
- Houston Joins the Anti-Confederate Monument Movement - August 18th, 2017
- Artists: It’s Time to Run for Office! - August 17th, 2017
- Film Nerds: a Happy Hour Just for You! - August 16th, 2017
- Find the Art Historical References in “Alien: Covenant” - August 15th, 2017
- UPDATE: Doggy Art a Great Success! - August 14th, 2017