The Houston chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) has named sculptor Patrick Renner as its artist of the year. Renner, best known for his Funnel Tunnel sculpture on Montrose Blvd and, more recently, the Trumpet Flower in downtown Houston (both with public sculpture company Flying Carpet), has been getting much attention and awards from arts organizations.
Of the AIA award, though, Renner states, “This is an unexpected and real honor for me, since I gave some serious thought in high school to perusing architecture as a creative outlet,” adding, “Seems like art has proven to be a good path though.”
also by Paula Newton
- Meow Wolf is Growing Bigger and May Come to Austin! - April 24th, 2017
- Sand Art: Sculpture of Sculptures - April 21st, 2017
- Sexy Farrah Fawcett Made Art, Too! - April 20th, 2017
- Death of the Cool: Barkley Hendricks, 1945-2017 - April 19th, 2017
- Performance Art Works Both Ways - April 18th, 2017