The Houston chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) has named sculptor Patrick Renner as its artist of the year. Renner, best known for his Funnel Tunnel sculpture on Montrose Blvd and, more recently, the Trumpet Flower in downtown Houston (both with public sculpture company Flying Carpet), has been getting much attention and awards from arts organizations.
Of the AIA award, though, Renner states, “This is an unexpected and real honor for me, since I gave some serious thought in high school to perusing architecture as a creative outlet,” adding, “Seems like art has proven to be a good path though.”
also by Paula Newton
- West Texas Landmarks Vandalized! - February 24th, 2017
- Rice U’s Moody Center is Almost Reality! - February 23rd, 2017
- WH Plans to Eliminate NEA and NEH as Examples of “Wastes of Taxpayer Money” - February 22nd, 2017
- S.A. Artist Wins 10K Craft Council Award - February 21st, 2017
- Happy (Not My) President’s Day! - February 20th, 2017