The Houston chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) has named sculptor Patrick Renner as its artist of the year. Renner, best known for his Funnel Tunnel sculpture on Montrose Blvd and, more recently, the Trumpet Flower in downtown Houston (both with public sculpture company Flying Carpet), has been getting much attention and awards from arts organizations.
Of the AIA award, though, Renner states, “This is an unexpected and real honor for me, since I gave some serious thought in high school to perusing architecture as a creative outlet,” adding, “Seems like art has proven to be a good path though.”
also by Paula Newton
- Happy Thanksgiving! - November 23rd, 2017
- Austin’s Graffiti Park to Relocate - November 22nd, 2017
- Retooled S.A. Foundation Looking to Give $ to Local Artists - November 21st, 2017
- U.S. Tax Reform Does Not Look Good for the Arts - November 20th, 2017
- Support Artists for the Holidays - November 17th, 2017