It’s official: ArtPrize Dallas is kaput for now, due to insufficient funding. Frank Artsmarter, the elusive figure behind the competing ArtSmarter Prize, claims responsibility for the demise of the Dallas offshoot of the Grand Rapids contest.
“I knew that my prize was gonna be huge,” Artsmarter said in a phone interview with Glasstire. “I’m polling really well with the all the media and all the religious groups in the world, and I just have more energy than those guys. Now that the Michigan folks have totally capitulated, as I knew they would, Dallas can finally get the prize it deserves. We will threaten the hell out of the status quo that was threatened by ArtPrize.”
Artsmarter’s prize includes approximately 27 artists (“a few more people want to join, so it may be a solid 30”), whose submissions will be unveiled at an event in Dallas during the Dallas Art Fair weekend next April. Stay tuned.
also by Glasstire
- Art Dirt 5: Celebrities Doing Performance Art + Artists and Gentrification - May 28th, 2017
- No More Free Parking at the MFAH - May 28th, 2017
- This and That: Sol Lewitt at Rice Gallery / a Wall at UH - May 27th, 2017
- Chad Dawkins Hired as Director of Exhibitions at Southwest School of Art - May 27th, 2017
- 300 Years of American Prints Opens This Sunday at the DMA - May 26th, 2017