The art apocalypse continues apace. The Contemporary Austin has commissioned six well-known artists to create bespoke…ahem… paddleboards to be auctioned off at the non-profit’s fundraising art dinner on May 9. They’re pretty cool, actually. See them here.
(The first time I spotted stand-up paddleboarders on White Rock Lake I just kept thinking Dear Lord, why. Why? Is this just a trendy hedge against surfing? Swimming? Kayaking? Any other physical activity involving water?) They’re valued by Paddle 8 at $1200 apiece. The artists are Andy Coolquitt, Liam Gillick, Jim Hodges, Angelbert Metoyer, Tom Sachs, and Marianne Vitale. The Metoyer would almost convince me to try stand-up paddleboarding. Almost. Not really.
Have fun and be careful out there, kids! At the auction I mean.
also by Christina Rees
- Richard Serra Prints at the Nasher Sculpture Center - March 22nd, 2017
- The Legend of Montie Ritchie versus the International Art Thieves - March 4th, 2017
- Ross Bleckner at the Dallas Contemporary - February 19th, 2017
- Bruce Conner’s 'CROSSROADS' in 2017 - January 29th, 2017
- Goodbye to 2016, or, Tripping Over Nostalgia - December 18th, 2016