I do not know where I got the number seven, but here on the ground in Bentonville, Arkansas, during the press preview for Crystal Bridges‘ new State of the Art survey of contemporary American art (think Whitney Biennial), I can count six artists from Texas represented in the show. They are Kim Cadmus Owens, Vincent Valdez, Gabriel Dawe, Chris Sauter, Autumn Knight, and Dornith Doherty. I feel like I knew this going in, though all proceedings have been very hush-hush up until this morning’s official launch.
Since there is still no one centralized list, even on the pretty and newly-live comprehensive, searchable website, this is what I’m able to put together. If anyone out there knows something I don’t, please speak up. There are 102 artists in all, representing 44 states. I don’t think I’ve missed anything or anyone.
I’ll review the show for tomorrow morning.
also by Christina Rees
- Buster Graybill at the Southwest School of Art - October 17th, 2017
- Misty Keasler's 'Haunt' at the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth - September 26th, 2017
- Tom Sachs at the Nasher Sculpture Center - September 19th, 2017
- Ray Harryhausen's Singular Movie Magic - September 3rd, 2017
- Artists, Self-Sabotage, Integrity, and Selling Out - August 20th, 2017