Robert Hodge and Phillip Pyle II have already begun promoting their upcoming exhibition at Art League Houston, presenting…The Black Guys, which doesn’t open until mid-November. While they promise a full-length album with the same title as the exhibition, they released the first single a few days ago on iTunes. It’s called “The Menil Song” and the lyrics contain a little art history, a little politics, and a whole lot of cool. (They even discuss the Menil Collection’s air conditioning.)
Hodge and Pyle describe part of the exhibition as an homage to the Art Guys; they will recreate five Art Guys performances, “while adding a twist that could only come from Black Guys.” They also plan on original performances and 2-D work. Until November’s opening, enjoy the music!
also by Paula Newton
- S.A. Artist Wins 10K Craft Council Award - February 21st, 2017
- Happy (Not My) President’s Day! - February 20th, 2017
- SXSE: Beaumont Is a Boomtown of Film & Music - February 17th, 2017
- How to Get A Studio and Stipend from Lawndale - February 16th, 2017
- Art Historian Picked for a Top National Security Advisor - February 15th, 2017