On Saturday, December 14, 2013, Glasstire invited cultural critic Dave Hickey to come to Houston to speak. In front of a full house at Rice University’s Sewell Hall auditorium, Hickey called ‘em like he seed ‘em.
Part 1: in which Glasstire founder Rainey Knudson introduces Hickey, and he disses Glasstire, Texas, Houston, stupid liberals, Rice University, and questions why art should be popular.
He goes on to theorize on the futility of the NEA and alternative art institutions, and reminisce about the the good old underground at Max’s Kansas City. Remember: “there is no in.”
Part 2 of our 4-part Hickey-fest here!
also by Glasstire
- Top 5: May 28, 2015 - May 28th, 2015
- Top 5: May 21, 2015 - May 21st, 2015
- Top 5: May 14, 2015 - May 14th, 2015
- Top 5: May 7, 2015 - May 7th, 2015
- Bill's Sayonara Top Five: April 30, 2015 - April 30th, 2015