On Saturday, December 14, 2013, Glasstire invited cultural critic Dave Hickey to come to Houston to speak. In front of a full house at Rice University’s Sewell Hall auditorium, Hickey called ’em like he seed ’em.
Part 1: in which Glasstire founder Rainey Knudson introduces Hickey, and he disses Glasstire, Texas, Houston, stupid liberals, Rice University, and questions why art should be popular.
He goes on to theorize on the futility of the NEA and alternative art institutions, and reminisce about the the good old underground at Max’s Kansas City. Remember: “there is no in.”
Part 2 of our 4-part Hickey-fest here!
also by Glasstire
- New Summer Tradition? The Nasher and Its Women - July 26th, 2016
- Spot Magazine Goes Digital! - July 25th, 2016
- Artist attempts to create most frustrating products imaginable - July 25th, 2016
- UNT Press is Releasing a Frank Reaugh Biography - July 24th, 2016
- $1000 in Free Art Today in Dallas! - July 23rd, 2016