On Saturday, December 14, 2013, Glasstire invited cultural critic Dave Hickey to come to Houston to speak. In front of a full house at Rice University’s Sewell Hall auditorium, Hickey called ‘em like he seed ‘em.
Part 1: in which Glasstire founder Rainey Knudson introduces Hickey, and he disses Glasstire, Texas, Houston, stupid liberals, Rice University, and questions why art should be popular.
He goes on to theorize on the futility of the NEA and alternative art institutions, and reminisce about the the good old underground at Max’s Kansas City. Remember: “there is no in.”
Part 2 of our 4-part Hickey-fest here!
also by Glasstire
- Top Five Dec 18, 2014: The Shopping List - December 18th, 2014
- Top Five, Dec. 11, 2014 - December 11th, 2014
- Top Five, Dec. 4, 2014 - December 4th, 2014
- HAA Dogpile! Artists of Transported + Renewed Weigh In - December 1st, 2014
- Top Five: Nov. 27, 2014 - November 27th, 2014