On Saturday, December 14, 2013, Glasstire invited cultural critic Dave Hickey to come to Houston to speak. In front of a full house at Rice University’s Sewell Hall auditorium, Hickey called ’em like he seed ’em.
Part 1: in which Glasstire founder Rainey Knudson introduces Hickey, and he disses Glasstire, Texas, Houston, stupid liberals, Rice University, and questions why art should be popular.
He goes on to theorize on the futility of the NEA and alternative art institutions, and reminisce about the the good old underground at Max’s Kansas City. Remember: “there is no in.”
Part 2 of our 4-part Hickey-fest here!
also by Glasstire
- Calling Art World Virgins: Let Madonna Take You to Art Basel - August 22nd, 2016
- Sunday: Jonas Mekas at Deborah Colton Gallery - August 21st, 2016
- Net Art is on Fire at Rhizome - August 20th, 2016
- More Sand Mandalas in Houston! - August 20th, 2016
- GIF: Boob Piñata Smashing at the CAMH! - August 19th, 2016