On Saturday, December 14, 2013, Glasstire invited cultural critic Dave Hickey to come to Houston to speak. In front of a full house at Rice University’s Sewell Hall auditorium, Hickey called ’em like he seed ’em.
Part 1: in which Glasstire founder Rainey Knudson introduces Hickey, and he disses Glasstire, Texas, Houston, stupid liberals, Rice University, and questions why art should be popular.
He goes on to theorize on the futility of the NEA and alternative art institutions, and reminisce about the the good old underground at Max’s Kansas City. Remember: “there is no in.”
Part 2 of our 4-part Hickey-fest here!
also by Glasstire
- Video: Glasstire Off Road With William Wegman - May 25th, 2016
- The ArtSmarter Prize Will Actually Take Place on June 3! - May 23rd, 2016
- Austin to Get More Public Art - May 22nd, 2016
- Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum Finds a Lost O’Keeffe - May 21st, 2016
- Nice! Slideluck Returns to Dallas May 28 - May 20th, 2016