On Saturday, December 14, 2013, Glasstire invited cultural critic Dave Hickey to come to Houston to speak. In front of a full house at Rice University’s Sewell Hall auditorium, Hickey called ’em like he seed ’em.
Part 1: in which Glasstire founder Rainey Knudson introduces Hickey, and he disses Glasstire, Texas, Houston, stupid liberals, Rice University, and questions why art should be popular.
He goes on to theorize on the futility of the NEA and alternative art institutions, and reminisce about the the good old underground at Max’s Kansas City. Remember: “there is no in.”
Part 2 of our 4-part Hickey-fest here!
also by Glasstire
- Michael Mazurek Named Director of Goss-Michael Foundation in Dallas - May 1st, 2016
- William Wegman Today in Houston: Rain or Shine! - April 30th, 2016
- What do artists and psychopaths have in common? - April 29th, 2016
- Top Five April 28, 2016 - April 28th, 2016
- Austin's First Art Fair Will Include the Following DFW Galleries... . - April 28th, 2016