On Saturday, December 14, 2013, Glasstire invited cultural critic Dave Hickey to come to Houston to speak. In front of a full house at Rice University’s Sewell Hall auditorium, Hickey called ’em like he seed ’em.
Part 1: in which Glasstire founder Rainey Knudson introduces Hickey, and he disses Glasstire, Texas, Houston, stupid liberals, Rice University, and questions why art should be popular.
He goes on to theorize on the futility of the NEA and alternative art institutions, and reminisce about the the good old underground at Max’s Kansas City. Remember: “there is no in.”
Part 2 of our 4-part Hickey-fest here!
also by Glasstire
- Donald Lipski Will Have Houston Peering UNDER Buffalo Bayou - July 29th, 2015
- Artist Takes You Inside Moby-Dick on Buffalo Bayou - July 28th, 2015
- Women & Their Work Looking for Artists for Upcoming Solo Shows - July 27th, 2015
- Top Five July 23, 2015 - July 23rd, 2015
- Will Dario Robleto be the First Person to Send a Response to Extraterrestrials Trying to Contact Us? - July 22nd, 2015