On Saturday, December 14, 2013, Glasstire invited cultural critic Dave Hickey to come to Houston to speak. In front of a full house at Rice University’s Sewell Hall auditorium, Hickey called ‘em like he seed ‘em.
Part 1: in which Glasstire founder Rainey Knudson introduces Hickey, and he disses Glasstire, Texas, Houston, stupid liberals, Rice University, and questions why art should be popular.
He goes on to theorize on the futility of the NEA and alternative art institutions, and reminisce about the the good old underground at Max’s Kansas City. Remember: “there is no in.”
Part 2 of our 4-part Hickey-fest here!
also by Glasstire
- Top Five: March 19, 2015 - March 19th, 2015
- Video: How To Get Rid of the Art You Don’t Want Anymore - March 18th, 2015
- Video: The Glasstire Talks: Hugh Forrest of SXSW Interactive - March 12th, 2015
- Top Five, March 12, 2015 - March 12th, 2015
- Top Five, March 5, 2015 - March 5th, 2015