On Saturday, December 14, 2013, Glasstire invited cultural critic Dave Hickey to come to Houston to speak. In front of a full house at Rice University’s Sewell Hall auditorium, Hickey called ’em like he seed ’em.
Part 1: in which Glasstire founder Rainey Knudson introduces Hickey, and he disses Glasstire, Texas, Houston, stupid liberals, Rice University, and questions why art should be popular.
He goes on to theorize on the futility of the NEA and alternative art institutions, and reminisce about the the good old underground at Max’s Kansas City. Remember: “there is no in.”
Part 2 of our 4-part Hickey-fest here!
also by Glasstire
- University of Houston Commissions Mural for New Stadium - November 28th, 2015
- Thanksgiving Top Five: November 26, 2015 - November 26th, 2015
- Announcing New Issue of Semigloss and Its Release Party - November 24th, 2015
- Party Pics: November 21 at BOX 13 ArtSpace, Houston - November 24th, 2015
- Ellsworth Kelly Sculpture Installed in Dallas Cowboy's AT&T Stadium - November 23rd, 2015