On Saturday, December 14, 2013, Glasstire invited cultural critic Dave Hickey to come to Houston to speak. In front of a full house at Rice University’s Sewell Hall auditorium, Hickey called ‘em like he seed ‘em.
Part 1: in which Glasstire founder Rainey Knudson introduces Hickey, and he disses Glasstire, Texas, Houston, stupid liberals, Rice University, and questions why art should be popular.
He goes on to theorize on the futility of the NEA and alternative art institutions, and reminisce about the the good old underground at Max’s Kansas City. Remember: “there is no in.”
Part 2 of our 4-part Hickey-fest here!
also by Glasstire
- Top Five: August 28, 2014 - August 28th, 2014
- Win a chance for a free SXSW pass at the Texas Contemporary Art Fair! - August 25th, 2014
- Six Public Sculptures in Texas to See Before You Die - August 24th, 2014
- Top Five: August 21, 2014 - August 21st, 2014
- Top 5: August 6, 2014 - August 6th, 2014