Ed Cooper died unexpectedly early this week after an accidental fall in his home. He was 61. A wealth manager with LPL Financial by day, Cooper was an enthusiastic and much-loved supporter of the local Houston art scene, as a collector and as a boardmember for many smaller Houston nonprofits, including Glasstire, Box 13, Diverseworks, Lawndale Art Center, and the Houston Center for Photography. Cooper was a friend to artists; he officiated at the Art Guys’ controversial tree wedding, and was one of the original subscribers to Bill Davenport’s Houston Artletter in the 1990s. A fixture at Houston art events for decades, Cooper was the model for artist Seth Mittag’s animated character, pictured.
UPDATE: A service for Ed will be held Saturday, Nov. 23, 2013, at Bradshaw-Carter in Houston. Visitation will be from 3-6 pm, with a 30-minute service at 4 pm. Refreshments will be served after the service.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015