The Art Car Parade was only a few months ago, but some are already jonesing for their next art car fix. No problem—the Orange Show has got it all worked out. Next weekend, they will present Art Car: The Movie. On August 17, at the Orange Show Monument, co-directors Carltor Ahrens and Ford Gunter will present their documentary, which follows a teacher and her high school class as they prepare an entry for the Houston Art Car Parade. The students learn about the joys of collaboration and life “outside the box” as the filmmakers talk to visionary art car makers throughout the country about why they feel the need to challenge societal norms.
On August 17, at 6 pm, the Orange Show will open its doors for an artist meet-and-greet and show the film at dusk, followed by Q&A from the directors. “Art car artist” tickets are only $10, advance tickets are $15, and it’s $20 at the door. But, it’s an art event so, of course, there will be food trucks and folks from St. Arnold Brewery.
also by Paula Newton
- How to Fight Terrorism? Invest in the Arts - November 27th, 2015
- Have a Purrrrfect Thanksgiving! - November 26th, 2015
- Coming Soon! Studio Pods for Houston Artists - November 25th, 2015
- Who Got the 2015 Houston Artadia Awards? - November 24th, 2015
- JFK: The Fascination Continues with Opera, Performance Art, James Franco, and Money - November 23rd, 2015