Most artists would be excited to get a New York gallery show, but a solo exhibition at the Studio Museum in Harlem is a really big deal. The same day that Houston artist Robert Pruitt’s show, Women, opened at the Studio Museum, Blouin Artinfo published a long interview with the artist (“25 Questions for Afrofuturist Artist Robert Pruitt”). Then, just as he recovered from the excitement of the weekend, two huge feature articles came out this morning: one in Art Daily and one in the Huffington Post.
Glasstire posted about the then-upcoming Studio Museum show just a couple of weeks ago, but this amount of national press is pretty phenomenal. Don’t expect it to go to Priutt’s head, though; here’s a snippet from the Artinfo interview:
I’m unsure of the relationship between the art world and the real world….. I want to contribute to that conversation through the development of my work, not explicitly through my association with the art world, which is a complex relationship.
also by Paula Newton
- New Menil PR Director: Beyoncé - May 25th, 2016
- Austin: The People Speak! - May 24th, 2016
- Aurora/Menil BYOB Rescheduled Date (Maybe) - May 23rd, 2016
- Menil Collection Names Former Intern as New Director - May 20th, 2016
- Two Ex-Texan Curators Chosen for Big-Time Positions - May 19th, 2016