Hive, Nestor Topchy’s “master-planned, artist-centric utopia” is stepping closer to becoming a reality- Lisa Gray reports in the Houston Chronicle that the seven-story dome constructed of shipping containers, housing work space for creatives of every stripe, has submitted a plan to lease/purchase a 10-acre site of bottomland from the Buffalo Bayou Partnership. Gray’s piece outlines the genealogy of the ambitious project, tracing it’s roots back to Topchy’s impromptu art collective at Meaux’s Bayou Compound in Houston in the 1990’s, which spawned bit Rick Lowe’s Project Rowhouses and Jim Pirtle’s notsuoH.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015