Pablo Picasso’s Woman in a Red Armchair (1929) was vandalized last week when a man in a dark suit approached the piece and stenciled the word “Conquista” and a picture of a bull across the figure’s face. A video uploaded to YouTube shows the whole thing, and dedicates the piece to “the art beast Pablo Picasso.” Fox News reports that the Menil has confirmed the vandalism, has already repaired the painting, and is working with the police. Both the sprayer and the videographer, who may have been a confederate, escaped without being identified.
KPRC’s version of the story includes an interview with the lower body of someone who claims to be the videographer.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015