Twenty-two Houston artists recently received individual artist grants from the Houston Arts Alliance: Regina Agu; Kristine Mills Borisewitz; Teresa Chapman; Jade Cooper; Rebecca French; Ashley Horn; Charlotte Kennedy; Alex Luster; Ayanna Jolivet McCloud; Jerry D. Ochoa; John Pluecker; Britt Ragsdale; Robin Reagler; Erin Reck; Andre Sam-Sin; Carrie Schneider; Soody Sharifi; Emily Sloan; Kelly Switzer; Patrick Turk; Michelle Yom and Gwendolyn Zepeda.
Funded by hotel occupantcy taxes, the artists will recieve either $5000 or $10,000 (up from $3000 and $7500 in 2011) to produce works that are available to the public as performances, exhibitions and objects that (the theory goes) help make Houston a tourist destination, filling the hotels that foot the bill. By a happy coincidence, the grants indirectly support a vital community of working artists to surprise, inform, amuse and infuriate us; something every half-decent city needs.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015