The 14th edition of Fotofest the Houston photo-art biennial is something special this time around: featuring three massive exhibitions of sometimes overlooked historical Russian photography from the 1950’s to today, in addition to the usual scads of shows at associated spaces both official and unofficial, all celebrating lens-based art. This year, fest founders Fred Baldwin and Wendy Watriss are working with curators Evgeny Berezner of the Iris Foundation, Irina Chmyreva, a senior researcher at the Russian Academy of Fine Arts, and Natalia Tarasova, a writer and cultural affairs consultant who will be in Texas for the biennial.
The Grand Opening is at Fotofest headquarters on Vine St., March 16 from 8pm-midnight, and a crowd of 3000 Russian photographers, curators, public officials, gallerists, and just plain folks are expected to turn out.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015