Josue Romero, a second-year student at the Southwest School of Art in San Antonio, was arrested and detained by Immigration and Custom Enforcement (ICE) on Tuesday, February 15, reported the San Antonio Express-News (and Glasstire). He was eventually released.
Now, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers have arrested more than 150 people, 62 in San Antonio, last month in what the agency called an “enforcement action.” “ICE’s primary immigration enforcement efforts target convicted criminal aliens,” said Daniel Bible, field office director for ICE’s Enforcement and Removal Operations in San Antonio. “Consequently, our operations improve overall public safety by removing these criminals from our streets, and ultimately from our country.”
Huh? Go visit and support Austin’s Mexic-Arte and other organizations—find the artists and activists who speak to you— and decide for yourselves!
also by Paula Newton
- Artists: It’s Time to Run for Office! - August 17th, 2017
- Film Nerds: a Happy Hour Just for You! - August 16th, 2017
- Find the Art Historical References in “Alien: Covenant” - August 15th, 2017
- UPDATE: Doggy Art a Great Success! - August 14th, 2017
- Getting Sweaty at the Museum - August 11th, 2017