The Orange Show recently announced that actor Cheech Marin will serve as Grand Marshal for the 30th annual Houston Art Car Parade. While he is most famous for the satirical comedy duo of Cheech and Chong, Martin is also an avid collector of Chicano art—a show of works from his collection was on view last year at the Amarillo Museum of Art.
The parade, which is set for Saturday, April 8th, will be led by Ocean of Soul, Texas Southern University’s marching band. Houston designer and artist Jermaine Rogers, who is known for his graphic gig posters for bands such as Tool, Deftones, and Radiohead, designed this year’s parade icon and graphics.
For more details on the 2017 parade, please go here.
also by Glasstire
- Art Dirt 8: Sex Robots, Scaramucci's Mark Twain Tweet, When Artists' Ideas Are Stolen - July 23rd, 2017
- Discovery Green & Houston First Commission work by Dallas Collective - July 23rd, 2017
- Installation Art Gone Wrong: Creepy Realtor Headshot Edition - July 22nd, 2017
- City of Houston Wants Artists for its New Residency - July 21st, 2017
- Glasstire Top Five: July 20, 2017 - July 20th, 2017