From 1979 to 1997, there was a legendary studio compound in Splendora, Texas, owned by artists James Surls and Charmaine Locke.
Their daughter Ruby Surls, with the help of artist Jeffrey Wheeler, is now reviving the studio and land as an art and music destination, with plans for workshops, lectures, and eventually, artist residencies and a collecting museum.
also by Ariane Roesch
- All Aboard! Take or Teach a Semester at Sea - July 22nd, 2017
- Frank Lloyd Wright at MOMA - June 23rd, 2017
- "Speak of the Devil" at Art League Houston - June 18th, 2017
- Not A Hobby: Tommy Gregory - June 17th, 2017
- Mr. Money Mustache wants you to bike to work in TX - June 9th, 2017