If you have yet to receive your yearly dose of Tibetan Monk sand mandala art, never fear—the Asia Society Texas Center has you covered. For the next three days, monks from the Drepung Loseling Monastery will be creating a mandala in the Asia Society building. It’s quite possible that you have already seen these monks in action—they recently appeared on the Netflix show House of Cards!
This isn’t the first time Houston has seen sand mandala painting—the Asia Society hosted monks for the Drepung Loseling Monastery last summer, and the Menil Collection hosted Tibetan Monks in December of 2014 as part of the museum’s Experiments with Truth: Gandhi and Images of Nonviolence exhibition (see a review of William Kentridge’s works from that show here).
also by Glasstire
- Cowboy Paintings Sell for Over $450K at Houston Rodeo - March 26th, 2017
- Art Dirt 2: Controversy Over a Painting of Emmett Till in the Whitney Biennial - March 25th, 2017
- Houston: the Bayou City Art Festival is Back - March 25th, 2017
- $370K! Houston Announces its 2017 Artist Grant Recipients - March 24th, 2017
- Affordable Housing for Artists in Dallas Arts District Gets a YES - March 23rd, 2017