If you have yet to receive your yearly dose of Tibetan Monk sand mandala art, never fear—the Asia Society Texas Center has you covered. For the next three days, monks from the Drepung Loseling Monastery will be creating a mandala in the Asia Society building. It’s quite possible that you have already seen these monks in action—they recently appeared on the Netflix show House of Cards!
This isn’t the first time Houston has seen sand mandala painting—the Asia Society hosted monks for the Drepung Loseling Monastery last summer, and the Menil Collection hosted Tibetan Monks in December of 2014 as part of the museum’s Experiments with Truth: Gandhi and Images of Nonviolence exhibition (see a review of William Kentridge’s works from that show here).
also by Glasstire
- Houston Gallerist Lloyd Gite is Bringing Cuban Art to Texas - January 23rd, 2017
- Craft Artists: Houston's Center for Contemporary Craft Wants You! - January 22nd, 2017
- Today, January 21: a Concert in Houston & Butt Prints in San Antonio - January 21st, 2017
- Trump Plans to (quickly) Kill the National Endowment for the Arts (and of course most other cultural programs) - January 19th, 2017
- Top Five: January 19, 2017 - January 19th, 2017