If you have yet to receive your yearly dose of Tibetan Monk sand mandala art, never fear—the Asia Society Texas Center has you covered. For the next three days, monks from the Drepung Loseling Monastery will be creating a mandala in the Asia Society building. It’s quite possible that you have already seen these monks in action—they recently appeared on the Netflix show House of Cards!
This isn’t the first time Houston has seen sand mandala painting—the Asia Society hosted monks for the Drepung Loseling Monastery last summer, and the Menil Collection hosted Tibetan Monks in December of 2014 as part of the museum’s Experiments with Truth: Gandhi and Images of Nonviolence exhibition (see a review of William Kentridge’s works from that show here).
also by Glasstire
- Project Your Work Outdoors at 'Bring Your Own Beamer' in Dallas - September 23rd, 2017
- Rice University's Fondren Library Acquires Contemporary Arts Museum Houston Archive - September 22nd, 2017
- Free Workshop This Saturday To Help Save Water-Damaged Art Objects - September 21st, 2017
- Salvador Dalí is NOT the Father! - September 21st, 2017
- Top Five: September 21, 2017 with Lucia Simek - September 21st, 2017