If you have yet to receive your yearly dose of Tibetan Monk sand mandala art, never fear—the Asia Society Texas Center has you covered. For the next three days, monks from the Drepung Loseling Monastery will be creating a mandala in the Asia Society building. It’s quite possible that you have already seen these monks in action—they recently appeared on the Netflix show House of Cards!
This isn’t the first time Houston has seen sand mandala painting—the Asia Society hosted monks for the Drepung Loseling Monastery last summer, and the Menil Collection hosted Tibetan Monks in December of 2014 as part of the museum’s Experiments with Truth: Gandhi and Images of Nonviolence exhibition (see a review of William Kentridge’s works from that show here).
also by Glasstire
- Glasstire Top Five: July 20, 2017 - July 20th, 2017
- Another Costume Contest at the DMA: This One is Lady Gaga - July 19th, 2017
- "Don't pretend that you're not proud of your work." - July 19th, 2017
- Christina Rees Wins $50,000 Rabkin Prize for Arts Writers - July 17th, 2017
- Austin's Blanton Museum Launches Music Residency Program - July 16th, 2017