If you have yet to receive your yearly dose of Tibetan Monk sand mandala art, never fear—the Asia Society Texas Center has you covered. For the next three days, monks from the Drepung Loseling Monastery will be creating a mandala in the Asia Society building. It’s quite possible that you have already seen these monks in action—they recently appeared on the Netflix show House of Cards!
This isn’t the first time Houston has seen sand mandala painting—the Asia Society hosted monks for the Drepung Loseling Monastery last summer, and the Menil Collection hosted Tibetan Monks in December of 2014 as part of the museum’s Experiments with Truth: Gandhi and Images of Nonviolence exhibition (see a review of William Kentridge’s works from that show here).
also by Glasstire
- Art League Houston Extends Open Call Deadline - November 20th, 2017
- Marfa Myths Festival Returns in 2018 - November 19th, 2017
- DMA Curator Gavin Delahunty Resigns Over Allegations of "inappropriate behavior" - November 18th, 2017
- Pump Project: The Latest Casualty of Austin's East Side Boom - November 18th, 2017
- DiverseWorks' Rachel Cook Leaving Houston for Seattle's On the Boards - November 17th, 2017