Rainey Knudson and Brandon Zech on underdog art schools, hanging with artists at parties, and goofy press releases.
1. Slideluck 2016: Artist Slideshow and Potluck Dinner
AT&T Performing Arts Center at Strauss Square (Dallas)
May 28, 7-10PM
A Dallas presentation of Slideluck, a multimedia slideshow with a potluck dinner. The event will feature a slideshow juried by Andrea Karnes, curator at The Fort Worth Modern, and live musical performances. For a full list of participating artists, go here.
2. Kevin-McNamee Tweed: 100 Views
Lower Left (Austin)
May 17 – June 17
Opening May 27, 7-10PM
An exhibition of new paintings by Austin-based artist and curator Kevin-McNamee Tweed.
Kirk Hopper Fine Art (Dallas)
May 28 – August 6
Opening May 28, 6:30-8:30PM
An exhibition of work by artists who use drawing in a “direct and confrontational manner.” The show is curated by Susie Kalil and includes works by Jorge Alegria, Lois Dodd, Bill Haveron, Alexandre Hogue, Mary Jenewein, Angelbert Metoyer, Lynn Randolph, Noriko Shinohara, James Surls, Emmi Whitehorse, and Roger Winter.
4. Autumn Knight & Robert Pruitt: The Chromatic Saturation Social Club
BOX 13 ArtSpace (Houston)
Ed. note: 11AM on 5-26-16: BOX 13 has just informed us that this show has been postponed until further notice.
“This Social Club is re-imaging art action as relatable common experiences by using “after hours” and “art spaces” as under-utilized time/space material. The Social Club will stage a series of club meetings and events between the hours of 11PM – 3AM, a critically territorial time used by beds and bars. The intent is to practice and generate a commitment to alternative social models that address the actual needs of people.”
5. 2016 Master of Fine Arts Thesis Exhibit
University Academic Center-Houston Baptist University
April 21 – June 1
Closing May 28, 5-8PM
An exhibition featuring works by Amanda Barry, Timothy Burkes, Stephanie Darling, Hillaree Hamblin, Seth Miller, Julia Misley, Aldo Roldan, Victoria Sanchez, Laura Sprague, Robert Straight, and Xiaoyuan (Kathy) Xian.
also by Glasstire
- Houston’s New Arts + Cultural Plan Needs Artists' Input - March 29th, 2017
- Dallas Contemporary's Playboy Bunny is Outta Here - March 28th, 2017
- Who owns the better gimp mask? Nasher or DMA? - March 27th, 2017
- Fearless Girl Statue to Remain on View Through 2018 - March 27th, 2017
- Cowboy Paintings Sell for Over $450K at Houston Rodeo - March 26th, 2017