The artists on the not-so-short list for the Hunting Art Prize have been waiting since mid-February for the evening awards gala this weekend, when the winner was announced. The annual Texas-wide contemporary art competition awards $50,000 to a single artist for a single painting or drawing. Houston artist Padaric Kolander was named the 2016 prizewinner for his drawing, You Step In.
Kolander has been a finalist of the competition for the last three consecutive years. “Having been a finalist for the last few years makes this moment all the more rewarding,” said Kolander. “It’s a true privilege to be selected from such a remarkably talented group of artists.”
also by Paula Newton
- ALH Artists Inspire Latest Version of Debtfair at Whitney Biennial - December 7th, 2016
- Judd Foundation Releases More Judd Writings - December 2nd, 2016
- And Speaking of Space - December 1st, 2016
- SXSW+Art! - November 30th, 2016
- Artists: Join the Space Poop Challenge! - November 29th, 2016