The artists on the not-so-short list for the Hunting Art Prize have been waiting since mid-February for the evening awards gala this weekend, when the winner was announced. The annual Texas-wide contemporary art competition awards $50,000 to a single artist for a single painting or drawing. Houston artist Padaric Kolander was named the 2016 prizewinner for his drawing, You Step In.
Kolander has been a finalist of the competition for the last three consecutive years. “Having been a finalist for the last few years makes this moment all the more rewarding,” said Kolander. “It’s a true privilege to be selected from such a remarkably talented group of artists.”
also by Paula Newton
- Sedrick Huckaby Receives SMU's Moss/Chumley Award - January 20th, 2017
- UH College of the Arts Will Change Its Name After $20M Gift - January 19th, 2017
- Amy Poehler Buys Film Rights to Houston HS Teacher’s Book - January 18th, 2017
- Texas Medal of Arts Announces 2017 Honorees - January 17th, 2017
- Dessert Before Dinner: Houston Couple Pledges Entire Show to MFAH - January 16th, 2017