The artists on the not-so-short list for the Hunting Art Prize have been waiting since mid-February for the evening awards gala this weekend, when the winner was announced. The annual Texas-wide contemporary art competition awards $50,000 to a single artist for a single painting or drawing. Houston artist Padaric Kolander was named the 2016 prizewinner for his drawing, You Step In.
Kolander has been a finalist of the competition for the last three consecutive years. “Having been a finalist for the last few years makes this moment all the more rewarding,” said Kolander. “It’s a true privilege to be selected from such a remarkably talented group of artists.”
also by Paula Newton
- Arts Donors: What’s in a Name? - May 29th, 2017
- Dallas Artist is Now a TV Star - May 26th, 2017
- N.O.’s Prospect 4 Announces Artists, Including Texans - May 25th, 2017
- Trump’s Proposed Budget to Kill National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities - May 24th, 2017
- Austin Art: People Have the Power - May 23rd, 2017