The artists on the not-so-short list for the Hunting Art Prize have been waiting since mid-February for the evening awards gala this weekend, when the winner was announced. The annual Texas-wide contemporary art competition awards $50,000 to a single artist for a single painting or drawing. Houston artist Padaric Kolander was named the 2016 prizewinner for his drawing, You Step In.
Kolander has been a finalist of the competition for the last three consecutive years. “Having been a finalist for the last few years makes this moment all the more rewarding,” said Kolander. “It’s a true privilege to be selected from such a remarkably talented group of artists.”
also by Paula Newton
- Neo-Nazi Posters Found Plastered Around UH Campus - September 19th, 2017
- Arts Orgs Impacted by Harvey Must Attend Meeting to Apply for FEMA - September 18th, 2017
- French Artist Installs Huge Mural on the Mexican Border - September 15th, 2017
- Solange Calls Out the Museum World - September 14th, 2017
- YES! The Yes Men are Coming to Houston - September 13th, 2017