This month the Blaffer Art Museum at the University of Houston received a $1 million bequest from the late Jane Dale Owen. The granddaughter of Sarah Campbell Blaffer, Owen had long been involved in the museum’s operations, including serving on the institution’s advisory board and executive committee.
As reported by the Houston Chronicle:
The unrestricted gift will help to create an endowment for exhibitions and public programs. Blaffer director and chief curator Claudia Schmuckli called it “truly transformational.” She’s thrilled that the funds will be focused on the creation and appreciation of contemporary art.
This is the largest gift the museum has received in its 42-year history.
also by Glasstire
- Get a Free Ticket to Make Art at Burning Man! - July 24th, 2017
- Art Dirt 8: Sex Robots, Scaramucci's Mark Twain Tweet, When Artists' Ideas Are Stolen - July 23rd, 2017
- Discovery Green & Houston First Commission work by Dallas Collective - July 23rd, 2017
- Installation Art Gone Wrong: Creepy Realtor Headshot Edition - July 22nd, 2017
- City of Houston Wants Artists for its New Residency - July 21st, 2017