CONGRATULATIONS to Houston artist (and sometime Glasstire contributor) Prince Thomas, winner of the time-based category at this year’s Grand Rapids ArtPrize! Prince’s video That Was Then pairs footage of fireworks with audio from CNN’s broadcast of the 1991 bombing of Baghdad. The artist’s statement of the piece comments, “I remember as a young man watching the CNN footage and thinking like most Americans that the footage looked like a video game. It looked hyper-real.”
That Was Then was first exhibited at the Station Museum in 2014, in the Station’s group of solo shows for the Fotofest biennial that year.
The award comes with a $12,500 cash prize, so adding that to the roughly $20,000 Prince already won on “Who Wants to Be A Millionaire” in 2014, we think it’s time for him to go to Vegas.
also by Glasstire
- Who owns the better gimp mask? Nasher or DMA? - March 27th, 2017
- Fearless Girl Statue to Remain on View Through 2018 - March 27th, 2017
- Cowboy Paintings Sell for Over $450K at Houston Rodeo - March 26th, 2017
- Art Dirt 2: Controversy Over a Painting of Emmett Till in the Whitney Biennial - March 25th, 2017
- Houston: the Bayou City Art Festival is Back - March 25th, 2017