CONGRATULATIONS to Houston artist (and sometime Glasstire contributor) Prince Thomas, winner of the time-based category at this year’s Grand Rapids ArtPrize! Prince’s video That Was Then pairs footage of fireworks with audio from CNN’s broadcast of the 1991 bombing of Baghdad. The artist’s statement of the piece comments, “I remember as a young man watching the CNN footage and thinking like most Americans that the footage looked like a video game. It looked hyper-real.”
That Was Then was first exhibited at the Station Museum in 2014, in the Station’s group of solo shows for the Fotofest biennial that year.
The award comes with a $12,500 cash prize, so adding that to the roughly $20,000 Prince already won on “Who Wants to Be A Millionaire” in 2014, we think it’s time for him to go to Vegas.
also by Glasstire
- Trump Plans to (quickly) Kill the National Endowment for the Arts (and of course most other cultural programs) - January 19th, 2017
- Top Five: January 19, 2017 - January 19th, 2017
- A Whopper of an Artwork for Your Inauguration Day - January 18th, 2017
- FotoFest Announces 2018 Biennial Theme & More - January 16th, 2017
- Section of Berlin Wall at Rice University Defaced with Pro-Trump Graffiti - January 15th, 2017