CONGRATULATIONS to Houston artist (and sometime Glasstire contributor) Prince Thomas, winner of the time-based category at this year’s Grand Rapids ArtPrize! Prince’s video That Was Then pairs footage of fireworks with audio from CNN’s broadcast of the 1991 bombing of Baghdad. The artist’s statement of the piece comments, “I remember as a young man watching the CNN footage and thinking like most Americans that the footage looked like a video game. It looked hyper-real.”
That Was Then was first exhibited at the Station Museum in 2014, in the Station’s group of solo shows for the Fotofest biennial that year.
The award comes with a $12,500 cash prize, so adding that to the roughly $20,000 Prince already won on “Who Wants to Be A Millionaire” in 2014, we think it’s time for him to go to Vegas.
also by Glasstire
- DMA Appoints a New Contemporary Curator - October 20th, 2016
- Top Five: October 20, 2016 with Amada Miller - October 20th, 2016
- Pace Foundation Appoints New Director - October 18th, 2016
- Applications Now Open for the 2016 Moss/Chumley North Texas Artist Award - October 17th, 2016
- Open Call for Dallas Arts District Foundation Grants - October 15th, 2016