CONGRATULATIONS to Houston artist (and sometime Glasstire contributor) Prince Thomas, winner of the time-based category at this year’s Grand Rapids ArtPrize! Prince’s video That Was Then pairs footage of fireworks with audio from CNN’s broadcast of the 1991 bombing of Baghdad. The artist’s statement of the piece comments, “I remember as a young man watching the CNN footage and thinking like most Americans that the footage looked like a video game. It looked hyper-real.”
That Was Then was first exhibited at the Station Museum in 2014, in the Station’s group of solo shows for the Fotofest biennial that year.
The award comes with a $12,500 cash prize, so adding that to the roughly $20,000 Prince already won on “Who Wants to Be A Millionaire” in 2014, we think it’s time for him to go to Vegas.
also by Glasstire
- The DMA Didn't Buy a da Vinci Painting. Now, You Can (for $100+ Million). - October 23rd, 2017
- Rockport Center for the Arts Announces 11th Annual Rockport Film Festival - October 21st, 2017
- Houston's Zoya Tommy Gallery to Close - October 21st, 2017
- A Residency for Artists Affected by This Year's Hurricanes - October 21st, 2017
- Voertman's Bookstore Owner Gifts $10 Million to UNT Arts - October 20th, 2017