Big Medium, the Austin non-profit responsible for the Texas Biennial as well as the annual East Austin Studio Tour and West Austin Studio Tour (among other efforts), has just announced the participating studios and venues in this year’s West Austin Studio Tour. It is huge. For a list of this 4th iteration of the ever-growing event, go here.
To brush up, the West Austin Studio Tour, like the older East version, takes place over two weekends– this year it’s May 9-10 and 16-17. It’s self-guided and gives people an opportunity to wander in and out of hundreds of artist and artisan studios and other art venues and non-profits. Artists and art professionals chat with visitors about their work and processes. The studio tour is free; there is event programming over the course of the weekends and some events charge admission. In advance of the tour on April 30, Big Medium will hold a fundraising event called Due West to raise funds for the tour catalog and special West group exhibition. For all pertinent info, please go here.
also by Christina Rees
- Tom Sachs at the Nasher Sculpture Center - September 19th, 2017
- Ray Harryhausen's Singular Movie Magic - September 3rd, 2017
- Artists, Self-Sabotage, Integrity, and Selling Out - August 20th, 2017
- Juan Mora: Culture Clash - August 1st, 2017
- Bruno's Steel House - July 18th, 2017