It is upon us. The big Belo Collection auction takes place at Heritage Auctions in Dallas this Saturday. A.H. Belo Corporation, the parent company of the Dallas Morning News, has collected artwork for its corporate collection for years, and has been planning this auction for awhile now; 300 pieces of postwar and contemporary art will hit the block at Heritage’s annex in the Design District.
Judith Segura, curator of the collection since 1986, worked in consultation with Murray Smither, and often concentrated on regional artists, though amongst the lots are works by Judd, Lichtenstein, and Rauschenberg. Some regional artists represented are Dennis Blagg, Bob “Daddy-O” Wade, David Bates, Billy Hassell and Danny Williams, along with hundreds of photographs snapped for the Morning News over the years by artists such as Allison V. Smith (though some of these photographs are labeled as by “unknown”).
The auction preview started today. Auction proceeds will go to the Belo Foundation, which contributes to journalism education and Dallas’ public parks. For more info, please go here.
also by Christina Rees
- Buster Graybill at the Southwest School of Art - October 17th, 2017
- Misty Keasler's 'Haunt' at the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth - September 26th, 2017
- Tom Sachs at the Nasher Sculpture Center - September 19th, 2017
- Ray Harryhausen's Singular Movie Magic - September 3rd, 2017
- Artists, Self-Sabotage, Integrity, and Selling Out - August 20th, 2017