Well, this is cool. In an ongoing effort by the city to boost its green image, Houston’s recycling trucks are being makeover into mobile (and functional) works of art through a collaborative initiative between Houston Arts Alliance and the Solid Waste Management Department.
Yesterday morning, the first trucks to get the vinyl art-wrap treatment were unveiled in Hermann Park. Writes CultureMap Houston: “The six new Art Recycling Trucks, which will travel their regular routes, are designed by local artists selected by a panel of professional Houston artists from an open call of applicants.”
The slideshow on CultureMap features trucks sporting some visually satisfying and bold graphics by artists Pablo Gimenez-Zapiola, Aaron Munoz, Kia Neill, Troy Stanley, and Arianne Roesch. More art-wrapped trucks are slated for the future.
(image by Barbara Kuntz for CultureMap Houston)
also by Christina Rees
- Richard Serra Prints at the Nasher Sculpture Center - March 22nd, 2017
- The Legend of Montie Ritchie versus the International Art Thieves - March 4th, 2017
- Ross Bleckner at the Dallas Contemporary - February 19th, 2017
- Bruce Conner’s 'CROSSROADS' in 2017 - January 29th, 2017
- Goodbye to 2016, or, Tripping Over Nostalgia - December 18th, 2016