Houston artist Bert Long’s Field of Vision, an array of sculptural eyeballs located next door the the Eldorado Ballroom at the corner of Elgin and Bastrop Streets, in Houston since 2008, suddenly disappeared over the weekend, to the alarm of Long’s many fans.
Never fear! Perched atop repurposed birdbath pedestals, Long’s piece always had the shabby, pensive feel of an abandoned backyard or ruined cemetary, but accumulated damage from vandals had gone too far. According to Director Linda Shearer of Project Rowhouses, Field of Vision‘s sponsor, the battered piece is being de-installed and stored, with the intention of re-siting and restoring it.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015