Amazon.com was all over the news today since it was announced late yesterday that its founder and CEO Jeffrey Bezos is buying the iconic Washington Post for $250 million. While optimists and pessimists argue about what this move will mean to the future of journalism, fewer seemed to take notice of another Amazon.com venture.
The Post story overshadowed the news of the e-commerce megasite’s jump into the art market. After months of speculation and rumors, Amazon Art (www.amazon.com/art) was officially launched today. Customers can now buy original and limited-edition art from more than 150 dealers and 4,500 artists, ranging in price from $10.00 to $4.85 million. The site can be filtered by media, genre, price range, subject matter, color preference, portrait/landscape orientation, and seller (known in the art market as the “gallery”).
In honor of Andy Warhol’s birthday, here is one of the thousands of listings.
also by Paula Newton
- Memorial Weekend: Oragami, Peace, and Granted Wishes! - May 27th, 2016
- More Projected Art! This Time in Dallas - May 26th, 2016
- New Menil PR Director: Beyoncé - May 25th, 2016
- Austin: The People Speak! - May 24th, 2016
- Aurora/Menil BYOB Rescheduled Date (Maybe) - May 23rd, 2016