You’ve got to stay alert to catch the best bargains on eBay- since last March, the Dallas Contemporary has been using the auction site to sell off limited edition prints donated by Dallas area artists! Last spring, prints by James Surls, Vernon Fisher, and Julie Speed were going for $50 each. This fall, alert (and patient) buyers could have scooped up Group, an aquatint by Melissa Miller, Seascape 12211 by Ted Kincaid, or Fingerprint by Tom Orr for $15. Information on item 150808841942, “Ludwig Schwarz Untitled They Hate Us Our Free Gum Limited Edition Print,” (which sold for $25), was no longer available, but eBay kindly found me fifty similar items to consider, including a Sol Lewitt limited edition dinner plate ($650), and a limited edition beach towel by John Baldessari ($135), but the only thing with a similar price was a 4-pack lot of Eclipse peppermint gum.
Sorry- you missed it! The Dallas Contemporary’s last eBay sale was on January 8, 2013 (“From North to South, East to West” original drawings by Linnea Glatt (#150974630479) US $15.00) They currently have no items for sale.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015