Alexandra Irvine, executive director of the Galveston Arts Center since 2007, has announced her resignation, effective September 15 to “move on to other professional challenges.” Irvine supervised the emergency stabilization of the foundation of the Art Center’s home, the 1878 First National Bank Building, as well as the refurbishment of the building’s cast iron façade, funded by the National Parks Service. She was instrumental in raising $2 million for restoration of the building following hurricane Ike. Prior to GAC, Ms. Irvine served as director of publications and membership at the University of Houston’s Blaffer Gallery, and was an assistant curator at the Contemporary Arts Museum, Houston.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015