Dallas Museum of Art Director Maxwell Anderson has named ex-Getty Museum conservator Mark Leonard as the Museum’s first Chief Conservator, signaling an expansion of the DMA’s conservation program, with more staff and a renovated painting conservation studio to come. Leonard was Head of the Paintings Conservation Department at the J. Paul Getty Museum, but quit in 2010 to pursue his career as an artist. He starts work July 1.
The Conservation Department at the DMA currently has one staff conservator and a small studio; Leonard’s appointment represents the launch of a new push for more a more comprehensive on-site conservation effort. Fundraising for the ambitious expansion is underway, with $1.1 million raised so far.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015