As a part of its new $50 million Performing Artsits Initiative, the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation is teaming up with Creative Capital to hand out 200 grants to performing artists. 100 individual artists, dance companies, theaters and presenters will receive big “leading artist” grants of up to $275,000, unrestricted, and not based on specific projects; another 100 “Arts Fellowships” will merely get up to $80,000. But don’t bother applying: the selection is to be made via peer recommendations and review panels. The money is from the Duke Foundation, Creative Capital will supply it’s expertise in managing the artists in order to maximize the grants’ effectiveness in fostering long-term exploration and research, needs typically unmet by traditional project-based support.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015