In the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, many people throughout Texas need all the help they can get. Coastal shelters need volunteers, food, clothing and other items, and organizations assisting with the disaster relief need donations — and every little bit helps. Below is a list of just a few local organizations where your donation would really make a difference (list via the New York Times).
The Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund of Houston’s mayor, Sylvester Turner, which is administered by the Greater Houston Community Foundation.
Carter BloodCare covers hospitals in north, central and east Texas. To donate, call 877-571-1000 or text DONATE4LIFE to 444-999.
The Texas Diaper Bank in San Antonio is asking for diapers and wipes, which can be dropped off in person or mailed to 5415 Bandera Road, Suite 504, San Antonio, Tex., 78238.
The United Way of Greater Houston flood relief fund will be used to help with immediate needs as well as long-term services like minor home repair. Visit their website to donate or text UWFLOOD to 41444.
Go here for a list of emergency resources for affected artists.
also by Glasstire
- Salvador Dalí is NOT the Father! - September 21st, 2017
- Top Five: September 21, 2017 with Lucia Simek - September 21st, 2017
- Houston Arts Alliance Names New CEO - September 20th, 2017
- Theaster Gates Named 2018 Nasher Prize Winner - September 19th, 2017
- Trenton Doyle Hancock's Texas Artist of the Year Exhibition Relocated to Former Rice Gallery - September 19th, 2017