In the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, many people throughout Texas need all the help they can get. Coastal shelters need volunteers, food, clothing and other items, and organizations assisting with the disaster relief need donations — and every little bit helps. Below is a list of just a few local organizations where your donation would really make a difference (list via the New York Times).
The Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund of Houston’s mayor, Sylvester Turner, which is administered by the Greater Houston Community Foundation.
Carter BloodCare covers hospitals in north, central and east Texas. To donate, call 877-571-1000 or text DONATE4LIFE to 444-999.
The Texas Diaper Bank in San Antonio is asking for diapers and wipes, which can be dropped off in person or mailed to 5415 Bandera Road, Suite 504, San Antonio, Tex., 78238.
The United Way of Greater Houston flood relief fund will be used to help with immediate needs as well as long-term services like minor home repair. Visit their website to donate or text UWFLOOD to 41444.
Go here for a list of emergency resources for affected artists.
also by Glasstire
- Celebrate the Life and Work of Harry Geffert in Dallas - November 24th, 2017
- Top Five: November 23, 2017 - November 23rd, 2017
- The Art Lending Library Opens This Weekend in Galveston - November 21st, 2017
- Art League Houston Extends Open Call Deadline - November 20th, 2017
- Marfa Myths Festival Returns in 2018 - November 19th, 2017