The seventh episode of Not A Hobby features Houston artist Tommy Gregory. As a sculptor and curator, he is a relentless advocate for having the public engage with art. Though his own work might not be so public-friendly, dealing with topics like sex and religion, he continues to champion public art and tirelessly organizes exhibitions across Texas. After getting his MFA from UTSA, he landed a job at the City of San Antonio as their public art specialist. He then moved to Houston to be the project manager for public art at the Houston Arts Alliance. Currently, he’s the public art program curator and interim director at the Houston Airport Systems.
“I never looked at art as a job…it just seemed like something that just happened.”
also by Ariane Roesch
- Frank Lloyd Wright at MOMA - June 23rd, 2017
- "Speak of the Devil" at Art League Houston - June 18th, 2017
- Mr. Money Mustache wants you to bike to work in TX - June 9th, 2017
- Getting to Know Dixie Friend Gay - June 4th, 2017
- It's complicated growing up in Marfa - June 2nd, 2017