Last night, the Lawndale Art Center’s Big Show opened, which is normally when the winners of the show, selected by the guest juror, are announced. However this year’s guest juror, George Scheer, opted not to pick winners, but to to divide the $3,000 in cash awards amongst all 62 participating artists, meaning each artist in this year’s Big Show will take home $48.37.
No word yet on whether every artist will also get a trophy.
Scheer also awarded five “special distinction” awards to artists Allyson Huntsman, Amy Richards, Herbert Shapiro, Charles L. Thomas and Justin Zachary.
also by Glasstire
- Glasstire Top Five: July 20, 2017 - July 20th, 2017
- Another Costume Contest at the DMA: This One is Lady Gaga - July 19th, 2017
- "Don't pretend that you're not proud of your work." - July 19th, 2017
- Christina Rees Wins $50,000 Rabkin Prize for Arts Writers - July 17th, 2017
- Austin's Blanton Museum Launches Music Residency Program - July 16th, 2017