The Irving Arts Center (a Smithsonian affiliate and home to two theaters, four galleries, meeting/classroom/reception/rehearsal facilities, and a sculpture garden) has announced that Todd Eric Hawkins has been named executive director, replacing outgoing 20-year director Richard Huff, reports the Dallas Morning News. Hawkins led the implementation of public arts programming in New York City, where he served as project manager for Public Art for Public Schools since 2008. He also served as co-chair of the Americans for the Arts Emerging Leaders Council.
Hawkins will start July 15 and Huff will retire August 1. There will be a public reception/retirement party on July 30, 4-6pm in the IAH’s Carpenter Hall lobby.
also by Paula Newton
- It’s National Spinning and Weaving Week! - October 2nd, 2015
- A Public Memorial and Tribute to Jesús Moroles - October 1st, 2015
- First it was Bernie Sanders, Now it’s Art League Houston! - September 30th, 2015
- Newcomers Make Up Almost All of the ArtPrize Shortlist and One is a Houston Artist! - September 29th, 2015
- It’s That Butter Sculpture Time of Year! - September 28th, 2015