There is a new roving art space in Houston called Self Actualization; it will stage its shows and events in various “vacant commercial real estate spaces,” and opens at 2800 San Jacinto Street on September 19-21 with a group show curated by Art Car Museum-alum/artist/poet/musician Tex Kerschen. This grand opening also features three days of events and performances by a number of regional and national artists and performers.
Self Actualization is the brainchild of Houston-based artist Monte Large and writer Jon Lindsey. This first show is called “Please Yourself” and will feature “drawings, paintings, unauthorized video, homewares, and complete trash.” Self Actualization’s founders claim: “Our interest is open-minded exploration of the transubstantiative properties of the physical spaces we occupy.”
For location, date and time info, as well as the list of artists participating in the three-day opening, go here, or call 713-446-7374.
Note: this item has been corrected to reflect that the opening is a group show curated by Tex Kerschen, not a solo show by him.
also by Christina Rees
- Tom Sachs at the Nasher Sculpture Center - September 19th, 2017
- Ray Harryhausen's Singular Movie Magic - September 3rd, 2017
- Artists, Self-Sabotage, Integrity, and Selling Out - August 20th, 2017
- Juan Mora: Culture Clash - August 1st, 2017
- Bruno's Steel House - July 18th, 2017